Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 91st General Assembly
April 4th, 2017 • News
April 4, 2017- Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 91st General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- The legislature brought the 2017 session to a close on Monday after putting the finishing touches on a few budget bills and taking final action on a handful of bills. It has been a productive legislation session.
- We enacted a $50 million-a-year tax cut for low-income families. Everyone who earns less than $21,000 a year will pay less in state income taxes. About 120,000 Arkansas workers earn less than $4,300 a year, and they will not have to pay any state income taxes at all.
- We also enacted a $13.4 million-a-year reduction for retired veterans. About 29,000 Arkansas veterans will no longer have to pay income taxes on their retirement pay.
- Thanks to legislation enacted this session, between 500 to 900 people with developmental disabilities will receive services that help them live at home.
- Higher education will be funded according to a new formula, which emphasizes results rather than enrollment. We hope it will stimulate colleges and universities to graduate more students with the skills that are most in demand in today’s job market.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from April 4, 2017