Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 91st General Assembly
April 13th, 2017 • News
April 13, 2017- Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 91st General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- When I first ran for public office, I never dreamed that one day I would have to vote on issues concerning medical marijuana. But during the 2017 legislative session that recently ended, I ended up voting on dozens of medical marijuana bills in a space of 85 days.
- Arkansas voters approved the amendment legalizing medical marijuana last November. But passage of the amendment meant that lawmakers had to implement it, and that meant we had to create from scratch a totally new regulatory system.
- We had to make sure that reputable people will grow and dispense medical marijuana, which meant we had to set up a schedule for inspecting facilities and auditing their finances. Most legislators shared my feelings, that we cannot let medical marijuana become a backdoor gateway for increased recreational drug use.
- Some of the more difficult issues involved in the process of deciding who would own cultivation facilities where the marijuana will be grown, and the retail stores where it will be dispensed.
- In the end, we voted for fairness in the selection process, transparency in the distribution process and accountability all throughout the system.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from April 13, 2017