Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 91st General Assembly
April 6th, 2017 • News
April 6, 2017- Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 91st General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- I have been a member of the Arkansas legislature since 2009, and in every session I come away with a personal list of victories as well as disappointments. My criteria has always been and will continue to be: does this legislation create jobs, does this legislation keep our citizens safe, and does this legislation provide better healthcare for the citizens of the great State of Arkansas.
- I co-sponsored a package of bills to strengthen our ethics laws and to make the political process more transparent and accountable. One of the measures is now Act 431, to tighten up the laws against abuse of public office and abuse of a public trust. It will make anti-corruption laws go into effect sooner, requiring compliance from the time a candidate gets elected or appointed.
- I also co-sponsored Act 430 to protect people who have been victims of judicial abuse. It creates an exception to the judicial immunity laws, in cases in which a judge is convicted or pleads guilty to bribery. The victims would be able to file a claim for the amount they have been victimized.
- Act 281 puts in motion the process for building a monument on the state Capitol grounds honoring Gold Star families, who have lost a close family member who was serving in the Armed Forces.
- My disappointments include the lack of a long-term highway program that will address our critical infrastructure needs. The 2017 session has barely finished, and already some of us have begun to prepare for the next one.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from April 6, 2017