Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 91st General Assembly
March 2nd, 2017 • News
March 2, 2017- Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 91st General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- Schools from kindergarten through grade 12 are constantly changing their course offerings and doing their best to keep up with new technologies. Last year we set up a system giving local business leaders a stronger voice in determining what job skills to offer at two year colleges and adult education centers. This year our focus is more on the high school level.
- The bill authorizes school districts to join forces with local governments to create workforce development centers.
- During the daytime they will offer courses for 11th and 12th graders who are working toward an industry certificate. At night they will offer classes to adults who want to improve their job skills.
- We’re working on a second Senate bill that changes the standardized testing that high school students must pass when they study for a vo-tech certificate.Instead of tests written by teachers and educators, they will take assessments recognized by industries. Those assessments will change constantly because industry is constantly adapting to changes in the marketplace.
- The most successful businesses are those that can compete in a global marketplace. The same holds true for vo-tech classes.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from March 2 ,2017