Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 91st General Assembly
January 5th, 2017 • News
January 5, 2017 – Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 91st General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- The Senate will have four new members when the 91st General Assembly convenes at noon on Monday. They come from both political parties and from the four corners of Arkansas, but like every other member of the Senate they have jobs outside the Capitol.
- The Arkansas legislature is a citizen legislature and every member has forged a career outside the world of politics. It doesn’t matter which area of public policy we may be voting on, there probably is a lawmaker with real experience in that particular area.
- Two members of the Senate are cattle ranchers and one is a farmer. Five senators are attorneys, although only three of them actively practice law for a living. One senator is a banker and another senator is a retired railroad engineer.Three senators are insurance agents and four senators are in real estate and development.
- Quite a few senators have various business interests, such as furniture, flooring, pest control, forestry, hotels management, communications, manufacturing, emergency response and investments. I myself am in the concrete business.
- Three of our senators have experience in health care, either through managing medical clinics or operating long-term care facilities.Three other senators are economic development professionals, with careers in chambers of commerce or local planning and development districts. Finally, three senators are former classroom teachers.
- This depth of real world of experience will be needed with the complex problems we will face in the upcoming sessions.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from January 5, 2017