Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 91st General Assembly
January 12th, 2017 • News
January 12, 2017 – Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 91st General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- The Arkansas legislature has convened the 2017 regular session, and tax cuts, Medicaid, and medical marijuana are at the top of our agenda.
- Also, we’ll take up a package of bills that would make sweeping changes in the child welfare system, and how the state places children in foster care.
- The governor has proposed individual income tax cuts that would save low-income families more than $50 million a year. The main tax cut of the 2017 session will very likely be for low-income families only.
- Arkansas voters approved a medical marijuana amendment last November. It will take a lot of time and hard work to establish a system of cultivation facilities where it will be grown, and dispensaries where it will be sold.
- In each of the past three sessions, Medicaid expansion has been a deeply divisive issue. It is an extremely complex issue that affects low-income families, doctors, hospitals, pharmacies, insurance companies and everyone who works in the health care industry.
- Other important issues we’ll face this session are changes to the criminal justice and prison system. We’ll consider plans to better prepare inmates who are released on parole, and to better handle prisoners with mental illness.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from January 12,2017.