Audio – Senator Keith Ingram Reporting News From 90th General Assembly
November 17th, 2016 • News
November 17, 2016 – Senator Keith Ingram audio report of news from the 90th General Assembly.
In this week’s report:
- On November 11, the state of Arkansas paid tribute to the men and women of our Armed Forces by celebrating the opening of a new, state-of-the-art nursing home for veterans in North Little Rock.
- The 96-bed nursing facility will be operated by the state Veterans Affairs Department. When it begins taking in residents next month, it will be the second veterans nursing home in Arkansas. The other is a 108-bed facility in Fayetteville.
- A new veterans nursing home has been sorely needed since 2012, when a nursing facility in Little Rock was closed after falling into disrepair.
- The North Little Rock home has eight cottage-style structures, each big enough to house twelve people. There are 152 veterans homes in the United States that are operated by state agencies, but only three are built with the cottage-style architecture of the North Little Rock facility.
- The nursing facility is on the grounds of the Eugene Towbin HealthCare Center, a VA hospital on the site of the old Fort Roots army post. The hilltop setting, overlooking the Arkansas River, is beautiful.
- Officials of the Veterans Affairs Department expect the facility to fill up quickly, because 175 serious applications have already been received. Residents will use VA benefits, Medicaid, and private payments to cover the cost of their care.
- Providing residential nursing care is not just way of expressing gratitude to veterans. It is our duty to support the men and women who protect us day and night, just as it is our duty to honor those who made the ultimate sacrifice to keep our nation free.
Click to Listen - Audio Recording from November 17, 2016